Yoga service vacation with ProPeru and Karma Yoga Journeys
Spend two weeks exploring the culture of Peru, working on a hands-on development project, visiting Incan ruins and Andean vistas with ProWorld in partnership with Yoga.com. Karma Yoga is selfless service to humanity without any attachments to the outcome. It is the Yoga of action, which purifies the heart. Karma yoga is exemplified in the tradition of feeding the hungry, nursing the aged, clothing the poor and sheltering all in need. ProWorld’s mission is to promote social and economic development, empower local communities, and cultivate educated compassionate global citizens.
What to expect on the trip
This trip will combine volunteering, yoga, and exploration to be a life-changing experience. The schedule includes daily guide yoga and meditation sessions, hands-on volunteer work, all meals, lodging, and local travel, and a chance to immerse yourself in Peruvian culture, traditions, and landscapes.
Hands-on Development Project
(Due to the nature of development work, final projects will be selected closer to the trip dates)
- volunteer at an orphanage
- teach children
- run art and play therapy for children
- or plant native trees to replenish local forests
Along with Karma yoga practices, participants will also get to enjoy excursions to cultural and historic sites. Excursion possibilities may include:
- Pisaq market and Incan ruins
- Ollantaytambo Incan ruins
- Chicon valley hike
- Cusco-area Incan ruins
• Full room and board including vegetarian meals
• All onsite domestic transportation upon arrival in Cuzco, Peru
• Community project planning, set up, execution and follow up
• Project donation and material project purchase for the community
• Cultural and adventure activities in the Sacred Valley
• Pre-trip organizational discussions and program materials
• Extensive staff support throughout all phases of the program
• 24 hour emergency access to support staff and offices
• Health and travel insurance
• $1M insurance policy protecting Yoga Journeys and participants
• International airfare and travel to trip destination
• Departure and airport taxes
• Personal expenses (souvenirs, incidentals, extra meals)
Peru stands out in the Americas for its geographic and cultural diversity. Its coastal desert is punctuated by fertile valleys once inhabited by pre-Incan civilizations and leads eastward to the foothills of the Andes. Rising up from the coast and running from its northern border to Lake Titicaca in the south, the Peruvian Andes are home to millions of highland Indians who preserve much of their traditional way of life and still speak their ancient tongue of Quechua. Frequently referred to as the “Land of the Incas,” Peru is famous for its numerous architectural wonders.
Over half of Peru’s 25 million people live in poverty, making it one of the poorest countries in South America. Peru faces many troubling social and economic challenges, with the most serious being high unemployment, high inflation, and a soaring national debt. These conditions lead to poverty for many Peruvians, and make it difficult for the country to provide its citizens with basic health care, education, sanitation, and other social services.
Our program will be based in Urubamba, Peru. The town of Urubamba, about an hour from Cuzco, is situated next to the voluminous Rio Urubamba in the heart of the sacred valley. This peaceful and intriguing town is surrounded by both historic ruins and snowcapped Andean peaks. Nearly 18,000 people call Urubamba home and it serves as a central point and major market for the surrounding communities. While there are several indigent communities that are a short distance away from the town of Urubamba, Urubamba itself offers several comfortable amenities such as hot water, electricity, restaurants, bars, and cafes.
May 17 – May 31, 2008
Double Occupancy: $2195
Singel Occupancy: $2445
A trip to Machu Picchu is optional at the end of the journey
To enroll, visit Yoga.com
"Mi familia fue divertidísima y la clínica fue todo lo que no sabía que quería y más. Estas tres semanitas son do las mejores de mi vida así que en serio muchas gracias!" - Ana Paula
Copyright © 1998 – 2007 :